Agatha Christie’s work in foreign countries presented by John Curran.
Located next to Playa Jardín, it is a fortress built in the 17th century, of the colonial type, which defended the Old Port from the attacks of privateers and pirates. It was one of the four forts that in ancient times defended the city. This fortress constitutes the most important military defensive stronghold in the city, built in the mid-seventeenth century for the defense of ships seeking refuge on the pier of the Port. It is located at the mouth of the San Felipe ravine, about 900 meters from the town center. His works began in 1641 and finished in 1655. Its structure is shaped like an irregular pentagon and its parapet is made of masonry. Apart from the bulwark, throughout its history it has been lazaret, nursing, storage, citadel, shooting society and restaurant. In the nineties it was restored by the City Council and turned into a municipal cultural center and a privileged stage for musical concerts and artistic exhibitions. The old gunpowder or Polvorín warehouse is preserved 50 meters from the Castle.